Some people think grouches should be shipped off to a foreign island to make scrunchy faces and sneer at one another. On 364 days of the year, I’m one of them. But today, we’re reminded that grouches are people too. Believe it or not, many grouches are just regular people having a bad day.
“Do a Grouch A Favor Day” Genesis
Like many wacky holidays, the origin of this blessed day remains a mystery. Perhaps someone felt bad for Scrooge and told him he had spinach between his teeth. Or maybe Oscar the Grouch was Oscar the Optimist before he developed a drinking problem and left for the streets. All we can do as participants of this holiday is speculate the many possibilities.
How to Make a Grouch Grin
1. Hug a grouch. Sometimes, it’s that simple.
2. Color Oscar the Grouch a cheerful shade. Maybe magenta. Tickle-me-Pink. Get-That-Cynical-Look-Off-Your-Face-Cyan.
3. Watch “A Christmas Carol.” Maybe smile at the TV when he comes on screen. Provide offerings. I don’t know.
4. Bake the mean old man across the street a batch of bran muffins.
5. Fashion your hair in a Who Ville hairstyle (because everyone’s favorite grouch is the Grinch.)
6. Pick a grouch a daisy. Everybody likes daisies.
7. Invite a grouch to come pet the kittens at the local animal shelter. Everybody likes kittens.
8. Tell a grouch “I love you, grouch,” even if you don’t. Incarnate your mother’s old wisdom that some white lies are okay.
9. Swoon over these grouchy-faced animals.
What’s your favorite way to make a grouch grin?